If you’re into fitness or weight loss, keeping track of your calories is a big help to properly plan your daily diet and exercise routine. A good way to track your calorie count is to install a calorie counter app on your mobile phone so you can record your daily calorie intake anytime and wherever you will go. There are lots of apps out there but our list of the 5 best calorie counter apps will help you get the right app for your needs, we have already done the evaluations so you don’t have to.
Table of Contents
- No. 1 – Calorie Counter – MyFitnessPal
- No. 2 – Lifesum – Diet Plan, Macro Calculator & Food Diary
- No. 3 – Calorie Counter by FatSecret
- No. 4 – YAZIO Calorie Counter & Intermittent Fasting App
- No. 5 – Calorie Counter by Lose It! for Diet & Weight Loss By FitNow, Inc.
No. 1 – Calorie Counter – MyFitnessPal
Calorie Counter – MyFitnessPal is our number 1 best calorie counter app. MyFitnessPal gives you access to the biggest food database available—over 14 million foods, including global cuisine and restaurant items—making it easy to log everything you eat!
And with an engaged online community of 200 million members strong, you’ll find endless inspiration and advice as you strive to lose weight, get fit, or keep your nutrition & calories on track.
This is the app for you if you want to learn more about yourself and your habits … feel empowered to make smarter choices every day … find motivation & support throughout your entire journey … and conquer all your goals.
Calorie Counter – MyFitnessPal Features
Being a MyFitnessPal member is like having a dietitian, trainer, and coach at your fingertips.
- Log Meals & Activity – Innovative tools make food & workout logging quick and easy.
- Set Goals – Customize your personal weight, nutrition & fitness goals.
- Track Your Progress – See today’s progress at a glance, or analyze your nutrition & calories in detail.
- Learn From Experts – Hit your goals faster with daily coaching from Meal & Workout Plans.
- Stay Inspired – 250+ healthy recipes and 150+ workouts keep routines fresh and fun.
- Connect With Community – Find friends, motivation, support & tips in our active forums.
Gain Valuable Insights Through Food Logging
Discover which foods fuel you best. The more you log, the more you’ll learn!
- Biggest Food Database – Log over 14 million foods (including restaurant items).
- Fast & Easy Logging Tools – Type to search, add foods from your history, or simply scan the barcode on the package.
- Calorie Tracker – Automatically calculate calories and see your daily progress.
- Macro Tracker – Automatic macro calculator shows carbs, fat & protein breakdown by gram or %.
- Nutrition Insights – Analyze nutrition intake and set specific goals for macros, cholesterol, sodium, fiber & many more.
Fully Customize Your App Experience
Stay focused! Choose settings that help you achieve your personal goals.
- Custom Goals – Track calories by meal or day, set up macro goals & much more.
- Personalized Dashboards – Pick the stats you want to see at a glance.
- Net Carbs Mode – To simplify low carb eating, view net carbs instead of total carbs.
- Add Your Own Foods – Save recipes and meals to quickly log again and again.
- Exercise Calorie Settings – Decide how steps & workouts affect daily calorie goals.
- Connect 50+ Apps & Devices – Track activity from your smartwatch and fitness apps.
- Wear OS app – monitor your nutrition throughout the day with our complications and tiles. Also: log calories and water intake.
Build Healthy Habits With 28-Day Expert-Guided Plans
Learn from our experts and get daily motivation to eat healthier or build a new fitness routine.
- Meal Plans by a Registered Dietitian – Nutrition tips & recipes customized for your target calories, plus access to our Meal Planner tool!
Cook and Eat for Your Personal Goals
Eat well every day with 250+ healthy recipes handpicked by our registered dietitian.
- Goal-Focused Collections – High Protein, Low Carb, Vegetarian & many more.
- One-Tap Logging – Add recipes you prepare directly to your diary.
Train Like a Pro Wherever You Go
Make faster progress with 150+ Self-Guided Workout Routines of every speed & style, built by Certified Trainers.
Calorie Counter – MyFitnessPal User Reviews
Been a paid subscriber for a while now and works well for me. Generally easy to track daily foods after you build up a collection and exercises are tracked well, linking to Strava. Good breakdown of nutrients for more specific dietary goals. Basically, it’s good. – From Ross
This is a great tool for tracking macros and monitoring your weight loss progress. My favorite thing about this app is that you can find almost any food you can think of using the search bar when logging foods. I was even able to find wild game. The thing I dislike the most is that the app does not account for calories burned with weight training. It will account for cardio only. I would recommend this app to anyone interested in fitness. – From Mike
No. 2 – Lifesum – Diet Plan, Macro Calculator & Food Diary
Lifesum – Diet Plan, Macro Calculator & Food Diary is our number 2 best calorie counter app. Meal plans, food diary, macro calculator, nutrition tracker, calorie counter, and healthy recipes, all in one convenient place. Eat healthily and feel great with Lifesum!
Looking to try a keto, fasting, paleo, or sugar-free diet? We have the perfect diet for any goal. Need a health tracker to stay in check? Fear not. We’ve got an intuitive food diary, a macro calculator, and tons of nutritional guidance.
Lifesum – Diet Plan, Macro Calculator & Food Diary Features
- Meal plans & diet tips for any goal – lose weight and eat healthily
- Keto, fasting, paleo, sugar detox, and more diets & plans
- Calorie counter & food tracker with barcode scanner for easy logging
- Macro calculator – keeps tabs on daily macros, nutrition & calories
- Food planner – eat healthy food from delicious recipes for any plan
- Health tracker – stay on top of fitness and health
Weight Loss and Diets
Lose weight with a personalized diet. Take our test to discover which food planner is the most suitable based on schedule and lifestyle. From fasting, paleo to sugar-free diets, and everything in between, we have the right plan to achieve any weight loss goal.
Recipes and Meal Planner
Healthy recipes to support all meal plans. Stuck in a diet rut? Explore tasty keto recipes, beat cravings with a no sugar meal plan, or search for paleo food lists and snacks.
Calorie Counter and Food Planner
Calorie counter and food tracker functions provide an overview of daily nutritional values. Did a workout today? Go premium and sync Lifesum with FitBit, Runkeeper, Moves, and other fitness apps.
Food Diary and Macro Tracker
Macros myth-busting. It’s easy with our macro tracker – reach the right type of energy consumption with the macro calculator. Simply scan barcodes for macros and nutritional information, or enter manually.
Lifesum integrates with Wear OS, Google Fit, and S Health allowing users to export nutrition and exercise data from Lifesum to Google Fit and S Health, and import fitness data, weight, and body measurements back to Lifesum
For extended features such as specialized diets and detailed nutrition information, and to sync with fitness apps such as Moves, Nokia Health, FitBit, Jawbone, and Runkeeper, get the Lifesum Premium membership. Download Lifesum now and improve your health today! Also, benefit from daily feedback to stay focused and motivated when working towards weight loss goals.
Personalized diets, an easy-to-use food diary, clever nutrition tracker, and well-thought macro calculator are there waiting for you, all in one convenient place. Eat healthily & lose weight!
Lifesum – Diet Plan, Macro Calculator & Food Diary User Reviews
I’ve been skinny my entire life and I’ve struggled with eating since elementary school. I could never eat enough and I finally realized that enough is enough. Now let me just say that this app is changing my life. This helps so much. I’ve always been skeptical of counting calories because of how confusing it can be. But this app makes it so simple. It’s actually fun to track and I’m eating more than I ever have. Also drinking more water too. Thank you so much for this app. – From Cory
I’ve decided to finally jump and take my health and fitness very seriously. There was a good deal on premium for a year and I bought it. So far I absolutely love it. The color scheme is great. The diary is easy to use and I like not getting bombarded with ads through the app. I really think this is going to be my chance at finally being healthy. So far it’s great! – From Caitlin
No. 3 – Calorie Counter by FatSecret
Calorie Counter by FatSecret is our number 3 best calorie counter app. Welcome to FatSecret, the easiest to use calorie counter and most effective weight loss and dieting app on the market. Best of all, FatSecret is free. Keep track of your food, exercise, and weight, using the world’s highest quality food and nutrition database and connect with a global community of people looking to make a change for the better and start losing weight and achieve your goals the healthy way. FatSecret is fast, simple to use, and includes integration with external tools and services to help you succeed with your diet:
Calorie Counter by FatSecret Features
- An easy-to-use food diary to plan and keep track of what you’re eating.
- A wonderful community that’s ready to provide support and turbocharge your weight loss.
- Image recognition of foods, meals, and products so you can take photos with the camera and track nutrition with pictures.
- A barcode scanner and auto-complete functions.
- Google Fit, Samsung Health, and Fitbit exercise tracking integration.
- An exercise diary to record all the calories you burn.
- A diet calendar to see your calories consumed and burned.
- A weight tracker.
- Detailed reporting and goals for all your calories and macros.
- Photo album to keep a photo diet of your food snaps and instacalories.
- A journal to record your progress.
- Reminders for meals, weigh-ins, and journals.
- Notifications for support, comments, and followers.
- Fantastic recipes and meal ideas.
- Sharing and interacting with your professional of choice.
- Facebook and Google login.
The app syncs with FatSecret Professional, the most convenient way to share your food, exercise, and weight with your preferred health professional. Your health professional will get free access to simple and powerful tools to monitor your performance and provide you with feedback, advice, and support.
Calorie Counter by FatSecret User Reviews
Love this app. The group shared food diary is so helpful that you don’t have to enter every food’s nutritional value. A lot of times someone has already added it for you. And being able to create your own recipes makes sorting out the calories, carbs, fat, etc so easy. Just put in the ingredients and they calculate it for you..easy peasy! Could not have lost my weight without it. – From Kristen
This app has changed my life. I’ve never been so healthy and balanced. It’s given me the ability to take control over my personal life when I’ve spiraled out of control getting lost in the daily battle of raising 3 kids as a single parent and having a full time career. I am able to have full control of my nutritional goals and be accountable for what goes in my body. Great community support as well. – From Corrin
No. 4 – YAZIO Calorie Counter & Intermittent Fasting App
YAZIO Calorie Counter & Intermittent Fasting App is our number 4 best calorie counter app. You can also use the free fasting tracker to lose weight with intermittent fasting methods like 16:8 or 5:2. Intermittent fasting has become an integral part of nutritional medicine and can help you burn fat and built muscle. You’re guaranteed to reach your goal in just a few weeks with the free YAZIO app for calorie counting, intermittent fasting, and weight loss. Say goodbye to dieting or feeling hungry with the YAZIO Calorie Counter and Intermittent Fasting App!
YAZIO Calorie Counter & Intermittent Fasting App Features
- Free and easy-to-use calorie tracker
- Food diary with calorie goals
- Track nutritional values and macronutrients
- More than 4 million foods
- Built-in barcode scanner
- Food ratings for every product
- Smart, simple calorie counting
- Create meals and recipes
- Track steps, activities, and symptoms
- Water tracker with reminders
- Comprehensive calorie analysis
- Calorie counting tips and tricks
- Free intermittent fasting timer
- Fasting and eating reminders
- Get started with a fasting quiz
- Detailed intermittent fasting plans
- Precise information on body state while fasting
- Initiate autophagy and ketosis
- Hour-based fasting methods: 16:8, 14:10, 12:12
- Day-based fasting methods: 5:2, 6:1, 1:1
- Special fasting methods: OMAD (One meal a day)
- Extensive fasting analysis
- More than 1,000 delicious recipes
- New weight loss recipes every week
- Low-carb, vegetarian and vegan recipes
- Pizza, casseroles, salads, soups, and much more!
- Grocery list feature
- Cooking mode to easily follow recipe instructions
- More than 30 different meal plans
- Nutrition plans for weight loss, muscle building, and fasting
- Daily tasks, meal planner, tips and tricks
- Delicious recipes recommended daily
- Create your own meal plan with our meal planner
See twice as many results with PRO
Join our YAZIO PRO community and reach your goal even faster!
- Tons of extended features
- Reach your goal twice as fast
- See more results with fasting
- Specialized meal plans
- Connect with Fitbit, Garmin, Polar, and S-Health
- Take notes and track your mood and symptoms
- Nutrient analysis
- Vitamin and mineral analysis
- Simple food ratings
- Evaluate your progress over several years
- Document and track body measurements
- No more ads
- Support our team
YAZIO Calorie Counter & Intermittent Fasting App User Reviews
I love this and track everything I eat for more than a year now on the free version. It’s changed my life. It also syncs easily with Google Fit so I know how to adjust my intake based on my exercise/activity. This app is amazing! – From Cortni
Seriously, this app is the best. I downloaded it in order to manage better what I eat in a day and to remember to drink more water, but the rest of the features really sold this for me. I bought the pro version, and I’m loving all the recipes, diet plans, fasts, etc. The only issue is I can’t seem to find the Fasting Countdown that is mentioned in the fasting plans or change the 8-hour time frame. Either way, my opinion of the app doesn’t change – From Helen
No. 5 – Calorie Counter by Lose It! for Diet & Weight Loss By FitNow, Inc.
Calorie Counter by Lose It! for Diet & Weight Loss is our number 5 best calorie counter app. Lose It! is a calorie counter & food diary diet app that helps you stick to your diet and achieve weight loss that fits! Simply download the app, set your goals, and track your diet, food, and exercises to lose weight. Easily track macro, carb, and calorie intake with Lose It! calorie counter & food diary app!
Stay on track of your diet and calorie intake with Lose It! Calorie Counter. Whether it be a keto diet, vegan diet, or anything in between, Lose It! will help you find weight loss that fits by tracking your macro, carb, and calorie intake to reach your weight loss and health goals. Stop making excuses – start losing weight with Lose It!
Lose It! isn’t your average calorie counter and food & diary app. Lose It! uses the proven principles of calorie counting and tracking to help you succeed. To get started, input your profile details and we’ll calculate the daily calorie budget best for you. Next, easily track your food, weight, and activity and get ready to celebrate your weight-loss victories. Gain insight on your macro, carb, protein, sugar, fat, and overall calorie and food intake on a daily level. Stay on top of your keto, vegan, vegetarian, or whole 30 diets! Change your calorie and diet habits and learn about your nutrition needs.
Calorie Counter by Lose It! for Diet & Weight Loss Features
- Barcode Scanner – quickly scan food barcodes or search our database to track your carb, macro, and calorie intake.
- Snap It – Want to know your carb count? Log food by simply taking a photo of your food. Just tap the camera icon for food tracking and calorie counting in a snap.
- Track Nutrients – track more than just calories including macro, protein, water, carb, sugar, body measurements, sleep cycles, and more. Stay on top of your keto, vegan or vegetarian diet needs! Learn what nutrients you need along your weight loss journey.
- Fitness App Syncs – connect trackers, apps, and devices like Fitbit trackers, Misfit trackers, Garmin trackers, Withings scales, Google Fit, Healthkit, and more.
- Challenges – step up your game with fun weight loss, fruit/veggie, health, and exercise challenges by yourself or with your friends.
- Meal Planning & Targets – meal targets help you calculate suggested macro, carb, protein, and overall calorie intake. Customize your diet and eating for personalized weight loss!
- Patterns – learn about your food and calorie intake habits with our exclusive personal insights to identify what is hindering or helping your weight loss progress.
- Recipes – customize your diet and weight loss journey with breakfast, lunch, and dinner meals you create yourself. Find easy food recipes for your Keto diet, vegan diet, vegetarian diet, Whole 30 – or any diet!
- Workout Guides – library of workouts to help guide you to weight loss success. Weight loss is more than just diet and food tracking! Get moving and work your way to a healthy weight & healthy living.
Download Lose It! Calorie Counter today and join our community of members helping us reach our mission to mobilize the world to healthy weight loss. No matter your dietary needs or weight loss goals, Lose it! Calorie Counter can help you find weight loss that fits to achieve your health goals!
Calorie Counter by Lose It! for Diet & Weight Loss User Reviews
This is the app I was looking for (after trying 3 others.) It’s so easy to scan foods and put them under ‘your foods’. Also, you can put your recipes in. So you can put your most eaten foods in the recipes. For example, I put in my usual breakfast, I mix 2 bowls of cereal, almond milk, and coffee with sugar and creamer in a recipe and just press one button every day. You can do the same with sandwiches and salads. It breaks down the nutrition at a glance for the day also. So comprehensive! – From Cindy
I love the Lose it app. Have been using it for 6 years. I lost 42 lbs this year alone. The app was a huge part of that, allowing me to count and track calories. The latest update is a lot busier (visually) than before. I love that it now can show you your weight for every day you entered it, going back years. I wish they didn’t turn the weight history image into a single line. Was more powerful in color, showing peaks and valleys of weight loss/gain. The single line has no gravitas. – From Peter
The list above is our recommended best calorie counter apps for your android tablet and phone. If you know some other calorie counter apps that are good then let us know by writing a comment or suggestion below.